Skip to content

Building the Stuart 10V

In this project I am building the Stuart Models 10V vertical steam engine from their set of castings. I have documented the project on YouTube. Feel free to join the forum discussion.

In all of the videos I use the Stuart Models names for the parts from their drawings.

Part 1 – Introduction

In this video I introduce the project and review the set of castings that I received from Stuart Models.

Part 2 – Boxbed

In this video I begin machining the Boxbed. This is the base that the rest of the engine is mounted on.

This was straightforward milling, but I did need to get a little creative when figuring out how to clamp it to the table. I ended up making a small plate that fit inside the casting with a hole for the clamp bolt.

Part 3 – Soleplate

In this video I machine the Soleplate. This is the foundation of the engine, holding the Crankshaft Bearings and the Standard. With the Soleplate started, I am able to finish machining the Boxbed.

This part gave me a lot of practice in machining castings with no definitive reference points. I was also surprised by the amount of good old fashioned hand file work required to clean up the castings and get them looking good.

Part 4 – Standard

In this video I machine the Standard. I think that this is one of the most visually interesting parts of the engine, and it is one of the places that a casting looks much better than bar stock.

Again, the machining wasn’t all the difficult, just simple facing and boring, but figuring out how to mount it for the various operations was a challenge. I ended up using the approach recommended in Building a Vertical Steam Engine.

Part 5 – Cylinder

In this video I machine the Cylinder, and there were a number of challenges. The bore needs to be accurate so that the piston isn’t too tight or too loose. Both end faces need to be parallel as well as perpendicular to the bore. The valve face needs to be flat, smooth, and perpendicular to the bore for the engine to run smoothly.

The most interesting part was the steam passages from the valve face to the ends of the cylinder. The drawings that came with the castings simply show that the holes need to be drilled. In the book they specify the angle as 25° but don’t explain how they arrived at that number. In the video I explain in detail how I determined the correct angle for these passages.

The angle blocks that I used when setting up to drill the steam passages are available from LittleMachineShop.com

%d bloggers like this: